Loading...

Spirituality and Community

The three churches in Glen Williams have active congregations who share in providing care and support to the community at large. Their presence over the last century and more has helped Glen Williams to withstand grave losses through two world wars, and to share joy in times of celebration. They play a vitally important role in a strong sense of community for all who live here.

Union Presbyterian Church

Union Presbyterian Church is located north-east of the village on 22nd Sideroad , which becomes Old School Road at the Halton-Peel border. The pioneering farmers of Salmonville (now Terra Cotta) and Williamsburgh (now Glen Williams) formed a congregation in 1833 and opened this magnificent stone church in 1884.

A small but active congregation meets on Sundays and offers Sunday School for the children. They support many outreach and development efforts, and every year raise several thousand dollars for local charities such as the Georgetown Bread Basket, Cancer Assistance Services of Halton Hills, Bethel House and the Salvation Army.

Website

St. Alban the Martyr Anglican Church

Located on the banks of the Credit River on Main Street, Saint Alban’s was built by local Anglicans and opened in 1902 against the Bishop’s wishes. It has a resident minister and a very active congregation with a strong sense of community spirit. The many events and activities that take place in the church, hall, and extensive grounds are well attended by the neighbourhood and help shape the cohesive character of the village.

Facebook

St. John’s United Church

St. John’s United Church is part of one active congregation with two places of worship in Georgetown and Glen Williams. It is known for its inclusive approach, outstanding music, and community outreach.

The historic church building in Glen Williams celebrated its 175th Anniversary in 2011. The original Williams family (of Glen “Williams”) were Episcopal Methodists and established regular services for Methodists in the hamlet in 1836. The church was bricked in 1903 and became home to the United Church in 1925.

Website
Facebook

Cemeteries

Have you ever wondered as you passed by the Glen Williams cemetery on Prince Street, who is buried there? The Glen Williams cemetery is an important part of our collective heritage. It represents a priceless record of our past and is a testimony to the continuity of life.

Burials have taken place in this cemetery since 1833, but the cemetery was not officially conveyed to the village until shortly after the death of Benajob Williams in 1851, when his son Charles donated the land as a public burying ground.  This cemetery is the resting place for most of the village families no matter their religion.  The cemetery is still open and is run by a cemetery board and boasts one of the favourite vantage points overlooking the hamlet.

Union Presbyterian Church and the Glen Williams Cemetery are the last resting place of the settlers and pioneers who built our community. The names on tombstones may be familiar. Some are the names of streets in our hamlet. Pay a visit to these two sacred places and and find yourself surrounded by their stories. Gone but never forgotten.

Sign up to get news featuring upcoming events delivered straight to your inbox.

Sign up for The Glen Newsletter

* indicates required