In 1825, Benajah Williams and his wife, Elizabeth Kennedy, brought their large family to Esquesing Township. As in most emerging settlements, the power of the local stream, in this case the Credit River, was used to run saw and flour mills. But for the local farmers, the Williams were more than just millers. They were blacksmiths (Joel Williams), cabinetmakers (Isaac Williams), leather tanners (David Williams), and general store (Charles Williams). Since Benajah had run a textile mill in the Niagara peninsula before moving to the Credit, it was natural for his son Jacob to open a woollen mill here in 1839.
Photo Right C.1908: Wheeler children on Prince Street, framed building on left was the schoolhouse until 1873.